Instil Bio is a global clinical-stage biotechnology company focused on the development of novel immuno-oncology treatments called tumor infiltrating lymphocytes (TILs). TILs are naturally occurring immune cells that have the ability to identify and destroy cancer cells. Instil Bio is engineering TILs to harness and amplify their cancer fighting ability to treat of a broad range of solid tumor cancers. Instil Bio is located in Thousand Oaks (California) with additional manufacturing and research facilities in Manchester U.K.
We are seeking a Director of Late-Stage Research to lead Instil Bio’s research efforts to play a pivotal role in advancing the key TIL engineering programs to IND. The successful candidate will manage a small team of scientists to prepare data packages for IND submission of TIL product clinical candidates.
The candidate will be a confident and respected leader in the field of cell therapy with significant prior success in the industry. The candidate is expected to foster innovation and inspire a strong collaborative attitude within the research team. In this role, the candidate will be directly reporting to Vice President, Head of Research.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate team efforts to generate preclinical data and reports using internal and external resources to support IND filing submissions
- Convey information and present updates around IND-enabling activities to the leadership team
- Oversee and interface with multiple CROs as needed to ensure timely execution of projects
- Manage a small team to develop novel assays, prioritize experiments and deliverables for IND-enabling studies
- Further the company culture of scientific excellence, achievement, and compliance for the benefit of the company’s stakeholders
ESSENTIAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Ph.D. in immunology with a minimum of 9 years of experience in preclinical research and proven track record supporting IND filings
- Direct experience authoring and reviewing study reports for IND submission required
- Previous industry work experience in cell therapy drug development in oncology field
- Expertise in assay development, multicolor flow cytometry, T-cell phenotyping and T cell manufacturing
- Experience managing, mentoring and engaging multiple direct reports
- Strong organizational and record keeping skills
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills are essential in this collaborative work environment
- Comfortable in a fast-paced small company environment with minimal direction and able to adjust workload based upon changing priorities