About Instil Bio
Instil Bio is a cell therapy company developing tumor infiltrating lymphocytes (TIL) for the treatment of solid tumor cancers. TIL are a patient’s own T cells harvested from the patient’s tumor, which are then expanded and reinfused into the patient to target and kill cancer cells. Instil is advancing its proprietary TIL manufacturing expertise, technology, and data into clinical trials, including a planned registrational study with its lead candidate and a first-in-human study of its next-generation engineered TIL. The company is led by world-class cell therapy experts and backed by premier global institutional investors.
Instil Bio UK is Instil’s rapidly growing, Manchester UK-based subsidiary. Our Manchester subsidiary has significant R&D, process development, and clinical manufacturing capabilities, with approximately 35 staff expanding to > 100 staff. Instil Bio UK has been generating cell therapy products for patient use since 2011, including TIL products and external partner genetically engineered T cell products.
The Process Development Team
The Process Development function at Instil Bio (UK) are a science lead team that focus on the advancement and optimization of the process steps, manufacturing conditions and technology from the procurement of starting material to the production and formulation of the TIL therapy. The PD team provides a key function to transfer knowledge and activities between R+D activities and translation to MSAT and Manufacturing functions with the aim to advance the process and ultimately the TIL product using a multi-disciplinary approach. The process development outputs are instrumental in producing a scalable, reproducible processes suitable for large-scale production of effective TIL therapies for clinical and commercial treatment to ensure these novel therapies reach patients with a range of cancer indications.
We now have a number of opportunities for ambitious motivated scientists to join our Process Development team.
Product Development Scientist
Reporting to the Process Development Team Leader you will interact with the larger CMC team (MSAT, QC, Analytical Development & Process Development) and the R+D department.
Your focus will be supporting process development investigations of the starting material and cell product attributes (with/without cell engineering) necessary for improved patient outcomes.
- Support the Team leader in the design and execution of studies and procedures that involve knowledge of basic cell and gene therapy principles for product development
- Support the team lead in the authoring of protocols, reports, procedures and batch records for process and product improvement
- Presentation of experimental results to colleagues and department leadership to update on study progress
- Provide technical support for protocol optimization and troubleshooting in a laboratory setting
- Collaborate in a cross-functional setting to interpret study results and contribute to decisions for subsequent study design
- Support tech transfer, qualification and training of processes developed into other departments
- Support laboratory day-to-day running and coordination whilst ensuring compliance with Instil Bio policies
Skills & Experience You Will Bring To The Team
To be successful in the role of Product Development Scientist it is likely you will hold a BSc or MSc degree in a Biological Science, Biotechnology, Immunology or related discipline. You will have gained the following general skills and experience:
- Knowledge of a range of research, cell analysis/characterisation techniques and methodologies including flow cytometry
- Experience with primary mammalian cell culture/aseptic technique
- Laboratory experience in an industrial or research setting
- Problem-solving skills, analytical skills and attention to detail
- Excellent organisation and communication skills both verbal and written
- Ability to work well with others in a cross-functional environment
- Creative thinking and troubleshooting skills
- Self-motivated, technically driven, adaptable and collaborative
Specific desirable experience includes:
- Performing flow/designing flow panels and experiments to assess immune cells
- Lentivirus transduction
- Xcelligence system and automated cell culture analysis
- Good general knowledge of immunology
- Experience with GLP and GMP regulations
Renumeration & Benefits
The salary for the Product Development Scientist will be competitive within the Biotechnology and wider scientific sector and will be offered together with an attractive bonus and benefits package. The actual salary offered will reflect relevant qualifications and experience as well as performance at interview. In any event we anticipate an offer in the £28,000 to £36,000 range.
If you would like to join us as a Product Development Scientist at this critical time in our development and you think your skills and experience are a good fit for this role, apply with a current CV and we’ll get back to you within a day or two.
If you would like to find out more about Instil Bio UK and our roadmap – there is plenty of opportunity for an informal fact-finding chat once you make your application.